Before you move, Inspect.
Your property manager or landlord will provide you with a Move-In/Move-Out (MIMO) inspection form which will need to be completed prior to moving anything into your unit. This form details out any problems noted in the home, like stained carpet missing items or anything else the landlord may be able to charge against your deposit when you move out. Make sure to return this MIMO form to your property manager before you move in, otherwise, the landlord removes their liability for any issues found that are not in the MIMO form after you move in.
Take this seriously, recording the smallest of problems like nail holes and be sure to take photos of significant damage. Keep an eye out for the following problems:
- Cracks or holes in the floor, walls or ceiling
- Signs of leaking water or water damage in the floor, walls, or ceiling
- Leaks in the bathroom or kitchen fixtures
- Any signs of mold or pests
- Lack of hot water
- Inadequate heating or air conditioning
- Damaged flooring